[rt.cpan.org #98955] installation fails | Can't locate String/ShellQuote.pm
Slaven_Rezic via RT
2014-09-18 10:25:54 UTC
Thu Sep 18 06:25:53 2014: Request 98955 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by SREZIC
Queue: PAR-Packer
Subject: installation fails | Can't locate String/ShellQuote.pm
Broken in: 1.021
Severity: (no value)
Owner: RSCHUPP
Requestors: ***@cpan.org
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=98955 >
Just tried installing PAR::Packer on a fresh 5.20.1 install via cpanm
under perlbrew (Ubuntu 14.04LTS).
The installation fails due to String::ShellQuote not being installed
(full log attached).
Installation works after installing String::ShellQuote separately.
I assume that String::ShellQuote has to be mentioned in configure_requires.
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-09-18 10:54:38 UTC
Thu Sep 18 06:54:37 2014: Request 98955 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Post by Slaven_Rezic via RT
I assume that String::ShellQuote has to be mentioned in configure_requires.
Yeah, but we need Win32::ShellQuote on Windows and String::ShellQuote otherwise (BTW: why can't someone enhance String::ShellQuote so that it works on Windows, too?).

But cpanm et al. take the configure_requires from the downloaded META.yml which can't express alternatives.
And I can't require them both, as Win32::ShellQuote obviously
can't be built on non-Windows systems.

Heck, all I wanted was a method to generate Makefile
commands that quote their (a-priori unknown) arguments reliably on any OS.
I'll ditch both ShellQuote modules and simply enclose
arguments in double quotes - that ought to work in 99.9 percent of environments.

Cheers, Roderich
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-09-19 10:11:14 UTC
Fri Sep 19 06:11:13 2014: Request 98955 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Queue: PAR-Packer
Broken in: 1.021
Severity: (no value)
Owner: RSCHUPP