[rt.cpan.org #100090] PAR-Packer-1.023 Execution failure in CentOS 6.2x64
Lance Gropper via RT
2014-11-05 23:42:46 UTC
Wed Nov 05 18:42:45 2014: Request 100090 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by ***@pacbell.net
Queue: PAR
Subject: PAR-Packer-1.023 Execution failure in CentOS 6.2x64
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@pacbell.net
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=100090 >

[***@QOS PAR-Packer-1.023]# pp
Can't locate Module/Metadata.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5 /usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at /usr/local/share/perl5/Module/ScanDeps.pm line 29.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl5/Module/ScanDeps.pm line 29.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl5/PAR/Packer.pm line 34.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl5/PAR/Packer.pm line 34.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/share/perl5/pp.pm line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/share/perl5/pp.pm line 5.
Compilation failed in require at /usr/local/bin/pp line 5.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at /usr/local/bin/pp line 5.
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-11-06 07:59:25 UTC
Thu Nov 06 02:59:24 2014: Request 100090 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Queue: PAR-Packer
Post by Lance Gropper via RT
/usr/local/lib64/perl5 /usr/local/share/perl5
/usr/lib64/perl5/vendor_perl /usr/share/perl5/vendor_perl
/usr/lib64/perl5 /usr/share/perl5 .) at
/usr/local/share/perl5/Module/ScanDeps.pm line 29.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at
/usr/local/share/perl5/Module/ScanDeps.pm line 29.
Module::ScanDeps isn't installed correctly - its Makefile.PL clearly states:

requires 'Module::Metadata' => '0';

BTW, you obviously didn't run "make test" when installing PAR::Packer,
otherwise you would have caught this earlier.

Cheers, Roderich
Lance Gropper via RT
2014-11-06 17:28:22 UTC
Thu Nov 06 12:28:21 2014: Request 100090 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@pacbell.net
Queue: PAR-Packer
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@pacbell.net
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=100090 >

At some point, you should try to be a little more helpful. You can see there
is a problem with ScanDeps without running make test. I was requesting
help - not requesting a description of what I did wrong. The version of
ScanDeps which comes with CentOS 6.2x64 doesn't work (0.90), the latest one
via yum doesn't work (0.92), the latest one on the internet (1.17) causes
the problem you see below. None of them install with any problems.
PAR-Packer-1.023 seems to only work with a specific version range (which
isn't documented anywhere that I could find). The one I found which worked
was version 0.97.

Cheers, Roderich
Glenn Linderman
2014-11-06 19:51:08 UTC
Lance,

I'm sure you're very frustrated that you've tried a bunch of things that
haven't worked, but Roderich has, for several years, nearly
single-handedly been keeping the PAR project functioning. Remember he is
not getting paid to do that, but does it as a volunteer. I've been
monitoring this list for quite a few years, and remember when Roderich
first started contributing to the project, and have seen years of his
contributions... always helpful.

Remember, that the best thing about computers is they do just what you
tell them to do... and that is also the worst thing about computers.

Granted, he can't visit everyone with a problem, and debug live on their
machine... but he always has made helpful suggestions, based on the
reported symptoms, and I don't recall anyone that hasn't been helped.

Your first sentence in the quoted message below is _very_ offensive, and
I wouldn't blame Roderich if he just flat quit responding to your
messages, after saying that.

Very often the best help comes from figuring out what you (in this case,
you, Lance) did wrong, that prevents a functional system from
functioning properly. If multiple versions of things don't work, then
perhaps you have serious problems with the installation of your system.
I haven't been attempting to follow the details of your problem, not
being a Linux expert, but often times Linux distributions seriously lag
the "bleeding edge" of new development... intentionally for stability...
but that often means that a number of packages must be upgraded in order
to get a particular other package to work. You may be facing such a
situation.

Blasting the only person that is likely to be able to help you through
YOUR problem as being unhelpful, doesn't seem to be a productive way to
solve YOUR problem. Remember, it is NOT Roderich's problem, it is YOUR
problem. But he is likely to help you through it, if you work with him,
instead of being offensive. Will he be able to resolve your problem
today? I don't know. Will it take a month? Maybe. It depends on how
seriously YOUR system is messed up, and how cooperative YOU are in
providing information.
--
Glenn
Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again. -- Franklin Jones
Juan José 'Peco' San Martín
------------------------------
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-11-07 08:49:22 UTC
Fri Nov 07 03:49:21 2014: Request 100090 was acted upon.
Post by Lance Gropper via RT
At some point, you should try to be a little more helpful. You can see
there
is a problem with ScanDeps without running make test.
No, YOU are not helpful here. You should NOT install Perl modules
without running "make test". Also you're generally on your own if "make test" fails
and you install the modules nonetheless. Your're welcome to submit a bug report in this case, though.
Post by Lance Gropper via RT
PAR-Packer-1.023 seems to only work with a specific version range
(which isn't documented anywhere that I could find).
Nonsense, PAR::Packer states (Makefile.PL)

requires 'Module::ScanDeps' => '1.17';

If you did the whole "download and unpack tarball, perl Makefile.PL, make, make test, make install" dance by hand, then running "perl Makefile.PL" would have
shown that you are missing dependencies. If you did ignore that, then
at least "make test" would have failed.

BTW, I heavily recommend to use a program like "cpan" (comes with Perl core) or "cpanm" to install Perl modules. Both would have inferred the above dependency
of PAR::Packer and installed Modules::ScanDeps BEFORE working on PAR::Packer.

Cheers, Roderich
Lance Gropper via RT
2014-11-07 14:24:11 UTC
Fri Nov 07 09:24:10 2014: Request 100090 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@pacbell.net
Queue: PAR-Packer
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@pacbell.net
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=100090 >

Hello Roderich:

You are making no sense: The latest ScanDeps is what caused the problem (so
apparently it doesn't work with PAR Packer 1.023). The one I installed
doesn't even meet the requirement you show below, but it worked. I posted
this thread requesting help and all you give me is grief and bullshit. When
I reported the problem, I knew there was a problem with ScanDeps, but there
was no problem installing ScanDeps (also there is no rule for make test on
it), and the error only appeared when doing a make test or executing pp. I
was requesting help with the problem, which I didn't get until you
recommended cpan below. All I got back is - ScanDeps was installed
incorrectly. How do you install it incorrectly? It is just a make and make
install just like PAR-Packer. I wasn't missing any dependencies - make test
or not. It is an incompatibility between PAR-Packer and the latest ScanDeps.

Lance