[rt.cpan.org #99229] Problem with PAR::Packer 1.022 on Perl 5.20.1 and earlier.
Fanchiotti, Sergio via RT
2014-09-30 16:11:11 UTC
Tue Sep 30 12:11:10 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by ***@standardandpoors.com
Queue: PAR
Subject: Problem with PAR::Packer 1.022 on Perl 5.20.1 and earlier.
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@standardandpoors.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=99229 >

Dear PAR::Packer Maintainers,

I ran into an issue when trying to build an executable from a Perl script under Windows 7 (64 and 32 bits) using Strawberry Perl 5.20.1 (and 5.16 also) which seems to be caused by the use of an updated version of gcc in the MinGW package that is included in the distribution. When I wanted to run the par generated executable on a machine where strawberry perl was not installed it complained that libwinpthreads-1.dll was missing during the unpacking stage. After a bit of testing the source of the problem was that myldr was not including this library when building the executable. A change in the Makefile.PL file as shown below fixed the problem (not very elegantly). The missing dll breaks the portability of the executable and would ruin the purpose of building executable distributions.

Thanks for the fantastic PAR mechanism!

Regards,

Sergio

PS: The PAR::Packer does not pass all tests either under Windows 7 so I had to install it using the notest option. I wonder if this is related this problem also.

Changes in myldr/Makefile.PL

< my ($libgcc, $libstdcpp);
---
my ($libgcc, $libstdcpp, $libwpt);
248a249
$libwpt = find_dll("libwinpthread*.$Config{so}");
261a263
$libwpt,
________________________________
The information contained in this message is intended only for the recipient, and may be a confidential attorney-client communication or may otherwise be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, please be aware that any dissemination or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify us by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. McGraw Hill Financial reserves the right, subject to applicable local law, to monitor, review and process the content of any electronic message or information sent to or from McGraw Hill Financial e-mail addresses without informing the sender or recipient of the message. By sending electronic message or information to McGraw Hill Financial e-mail addresses you, as the sender, are cons
enting to McGraw Hill Financial processing any of your personal data therein.
Mike Flannigan via RT
2014-09-30 22:36:50 UTC
Tue Sep 30 18:36:49 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@att.net
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@standardandpoors.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=99229 >

It could be related to the problem I am having. I'd like to try
it, but I couldn't figure out how to install with the no test
option.

Mike
Mike Flannigan

Fanchiotti, Sergio via RT
2014-10-01 02:15:57 UTC
Tue Sep 30 22:15:56 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@standardandpoors.com
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@standardandpoors.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=99229 >

Mike,

Just run cpan and type notest install PAR::Packer

Sergio

Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-10-10 19:44:25 UTC
Fri Oct 10 15:44:23 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: RSCHUPP
Requestors: ***@standardandpoors.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=99229 >
Post by Fanchiotti, Sergio via RT
Changes in myldr/Makefile.PL
< my ($libgcc, $libstdcpp);
---
my ($libgcc, $libstdcpp, $libwpt);
248a249
$libwpt = find_dll("libwinpthread*.$Config{so}");
261a263
$libwpt,
Thanks, applied - will be in the next release of PAR::Packer.

Cheers, Roderich
via RT
2014-11-02 22:12:26 UTC
Sun Nov 02 17:12:25 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: RSCHUPP
[...]
In the patch for this bug in v1.023 you accidentally messed up the name of the lib so it doesn't match it:

$libwinpthread = find_dll("libwinpthreads*.$Config{so}");

should be:

$libwinpthread = find_dll("libwinpthread*.$Config{so}");

:-)
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-11-07 08:55:55 UTC
Fri Nov 07 03:55:54 2014: Request 99229 was acted upon.
Post by via RT
In the patch for this bug in v1.023 you accidentally messed up the
$libwinpthread = find_dll("libwinpthreads*.$Config{so}");
$libwinpthread = find_dll("libwinpthread*.$Config{so}");
Thanks for pointing out, fixed in 1.024.

Cheers, Roderich