[rt.cpan.org #101000] Perl pp error: Nested packages
Das, Angan via RT
2014-12-18 21:15:48 UTC
Thu Dec 18 16:15:48 2014: Request 101000 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by ***@intel.com
Queue: PAR-Packer
Subject: Perl pp error: Nested packages
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@intel.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=101000 >

Hi Roderich,

Pradeep (from our team) has a recent issue with 'pp' -- nested Perl packages (used within 'included/called' Perl scripts from parent Perl script) complain being not found. Environment does not seem to be an issue over here, and including all packages within the parent script does not help.

Probably the main code spawns off a separate process from 'pp'-transformed code, and it does not have much clue where to pick up the package from.

Could you kindly help?

- Angan

According to our records, your request has been resolved. If you have any further questions or concerns, please respond to this message.
Roderich Schupp via RT
2014-12-19 12:08:30 UTC
Fri Dec 19 07:08:29 2014: Request 101000 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Post by Das, Angan via RT
Pradeep (from our team) has a recent issue with 'pp' -- nested Perl
packages (used within 'included/called' Perl scripts from parent Perl
script) complain being not found. Environment does not seem to be an
issue over here, and including all packages within the parent script
does not help.
Could you kindly help?
Sorry, rt.cpan.org is a *bug* tracker: clearly state what you were trying to do,
what you expected and what you got instead. Your report does not contain anything
base a diagnosis on.
Stuff like "need some help" do not belong on the bug tracker,
please take them to the PAR mailing list, ***@perl.org, instead.

Cheers, Roderich
Das, Angan via RT
2014-12-19 18:56:17 UTC
Fri Dec 19 13:56:16 2014: Request 101000 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@intel.com
Queue: PAR-Packer
Subject: RE: [rt.cpan.org #101000] Perl pp error: Nested packages
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@intel.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=101000 >

Roderich,

Thanks. I am not sure why Pradeep got stripped off from the mail thread. Anyways, looks like a 'bug' to us (from the what we could decipher from the user guide). Now, whether it is a real bug to be fixed or is there is some work around -- I will let you decide.

Pradeep, could you kindly give some snippets of the error messages you got (hiding relevant Intel IP information) that might help Roderich to give some pointers. Also, please send the same email to "***@perl.org" so that we might get some help from there as well.

- Angan

Cheers, Roderich
Jayapal, Pradeep Kumar via RT
2014-12-19 23:52:41 UTC
Fri Dec 19 18:52:40 2014: Request 101000 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@intel.com
Queue: PAR-Packer
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@intel.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=101000 >

Hi Roderich,

Let me try to give a clear picture of my scenario,

I have a perl script which I am compiling using pp. In the executable returned as output by pp we see few Intel specific paths being mentioned (eg: /<prefix>/intel/<suffix>). To keep it generic and to ensure that Intel specific paths are not used we replace all the occurrence of "intel" with "dummy" in the PP output executable file.
But we see that when we run the executable and another Perl script is called from inside this executable (system call in the original Perl script) we get an error in the lines of,

Can't locate warnings.pm in @INC (@INC contains: /<prefix>/dummy/<suffix>) at <perl_script_called_using_systemcall> at line <line_no>.
BEGIN failed--compilation aborted at <perl_script_called_using_systemcall> at line <line_no>.

The <line_no> and warnings.pm points to "use warnings;" line in the Perl script called from the executable using system calls. Is there way to prevent the PP output executable from controlling @INC for the system calls of Perl scripts inside the executable?

Regards,
Pradeep

Cheers, Roderich
Bagdevi via RT
2014-12-21 16:36:44 UTC
Sun Dec 21 11:36:38 2014: Request 101000 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR-Packer
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@intel.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=101000 >

Hello Pradeep and Angan,
I had a similar situation, where I was calling a perl script (B) from the
compiled executable (A) and, as it is happening with you, it did not work
for me as well because of the system path issues. Well, the direct solution
is, one should keep the (B) as a sub routine of perl code (A), which would
solve the issue. But for some reason (constrains), I could not put both
these perl scripts together. I had a work around which solved my problem.
1// first I compiled the perl code (B) individually and make the executable.
2// from perl script (A) I called the executable for (B) (not the perl code
(B)).
3// I packed the executable (B) along with (A) while compiling (A).
This, at the end, takes up much space as it bundles up most of the needed
packages twice, but at least it works that's way.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Bagdevi Mishra.

Cheers, Roderich
Bagdevi

Cheers, Roderich
Ron W
2015-01-05 16:47:41 UTC
Post by Bagdevi via RT
Hello Pradeep and Angan,
I had a similar situation, where I was calling a perl script (B) from the
compiled executable (A) and, as it is happening with you, it did ...
1// first I compiled the perl code (B) individually and make the executable.
2// from perl script (A) I called the executable for (B) (not the perl
code (B)).
3// I packed the executable (B) along with (A) while compiling (A).
This, at the end, takes up much space as it bundles up most of the needed
packages twice, but at least it works that's way.
You can bundle multiple Perl scripts inside the generated executable. Make
the base name of the executable the same as the primary script. (If a.pl is
the primary, then name the executable a (or a.exe for MS Windows).)

You can invoke b.pl from a.pl with:

my $progb = $0;
$0 =~ s/a\.pl/b\.pl/;
do $progb;

Also, FYI, in a Linux/Unix/POSIX environment, you can create links to the
executable, each one named for the bundled script to be executed. Example:

ln -s a b
# run a
# run b

In a MS Windows environment, you have to make additional copies of the
executable, however, the same behavior applies: Whichever name the
executable is invoked by, that is the script that will run.
Ron Wilson via RT

Jayapal, Pradeep Kumar