[rt.cpan.org #104509] Problem signing PAR file
Daniel Caspi via RT
2015-05-18 23:15:21 UTC
Mon May 18 19:15:21 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Ticket created by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Subject: Problem signing PAR file
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

When including an additional module, it appears that it is not added to the
MANIFEST and thus the -s option for signing fails.

Here is an example of the flags I've used that causes the failure.

-a '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18.2/MIME/types.db;lib/MIME/types.db'
-F PatchContent=MIME/Types.pm
Shawn Laffan via RT
2015-05-18 23:24:36 UTC
Mon May 18 19:24:29 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by SLAFFAN
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

A possible patch for this is at https://github.com/shawnlaffan/perl_par_reinstate_cache/commit/6cad3a0562aca287834a8b926ce2ed3f9b7552e1

Shawn.
Daniel Caspi via RT
2015-05-18 23:37:05 UTC
Mon May 18 19:37:04 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Subject: Re: [rt.cpan.org #104509] Problem signing PAR file
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

Thanks Shawn for this patch. I think it fixed that issue, but now I see the
failure message below.
I can't tell if something is wrong with my Module::Signature or not.

Died at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18.2/Module/Signature.pm line 498.
Shawn Laffan via RT
2015-05-18 23:47:12 UTC
Mon May 18 19:47:11 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by SLAFFAN
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

Unfortunately I can't help with Module::Signature as I've never used it. Maybe someone else can, but this is the PAR issue queue.

Module::Signature has had a new release in the last few hours. If that does not fix things then perhaps submit a request on its issue tracker? https://rt.cpan.org/Dist/Display.html?Name=Module-Signature

It's also safer to not run updates on the system perl. Try perlbrew or similar. http://perlbrew.pl/

Shawn.
Post by Daniel Caspi via RT
Thanks Shawn for this patch. I think it fixed that issue, but now I
see the
failure message below.
I can't tell if something is wrong with my Module::Signature or not.
Died at /usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18.2/Module/Signature.pm line
498.
Roderich Schupp via RT
2015-05-19 06:38:19 UTC
Tue May 19 02:38:18 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Post by Daniel Caspi via RT
Here is an example of the flags I've used that causes the failure.
-a '/usr/local/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.18.2/MIME/types.db;lib/MIME/types.db'
-F PatchContent=MIME/Types.pm
Hi Daniel,

thisn't about to your signing problem - I guess you needed this
particular "-a" option because MIME/types.db didn't get packed
automagically when use'ing MIME::Types? If so, please submit
a bug in queue Module-ScanDeps about that.

Cheers, Roderich
Daniel Caspi via RT
2015-05-19 14:22:40 UTC
Tue May 19 10:22:38 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

Thanks Roderich.

There's already a bug ticket in for that in ScanDeps from 2013.

Cheers, Roderich
Daniel Caspi via RT
2015-05-19 15:21:24 UTC
Tue May 19 11:21:23 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

Hey Roderich,

Understood on that!

What about compiling a list of 'problematic modules' and giving PAR the
option to fix them? It might be a nice addition to the platform. The Encode
module is another tricky one. It has many dependencies but they are only
called when needed and so do not get appropriately packaged.

In the meantime, the MANIFEST fix for the addfiles by Shawn is working and
should probably be included as a fix, but I'm still not having luck with
the Signature module for some reason.

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 10:12 AM, Roderich Schupp via RT <
Post by Daniel Caspi via RT
Post by Daniel Caspi via RT
There's already a bug ticket in for that in ScanDeps from 2013.
Re-reading my own comments...
Yeah, there are 1001 ways to refer to a data file from a Perl module.
And most of them break when using PAR. The power of TMTOWTDI, yech.
(In my dreams I envision there would be only one sanctioned method
to do this and it could be inspected or intercepted by PAR.)
This can't be fixed solely in Module::ScanDeps, it also needs a rule
in PAR::Filter::PatchContent, cf. what's been done for Mozilla::CA.
Cheers, Roderich
Roderich Schupp via RT

Cheers, Roderich
Roderich Schupp via RT
2015-05-19 15:36:00 UTC
Tue May 19 11:35:59 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Post by Daniel Caspi via RT
What about compiling a list of 'problematic modules' and giving PAR the
option to fix them?
This list already exists, actually in two parts:
one is the %Preload hash in Module::ScanDeps, the other is
PAR::Filter::PatchContent. The latter is sparingly used as
it is very brittle: though it typically patches only a single
in a module, it will stop working when the module author
modifies this line.

Cheers, Roderich
Daniel Caspi via RT
2015-05-28 05:19:06 UTC
Thu May 28 01:19:05 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by ***@gmail.com
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody
Requestors: ***@gmail.com
Ticket <URL: https://rt.cpan.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=104509 >

Thanks Roderich,

That's helpful to know. FYI .. looks like my issue with the
Module::Signature is more general than PAR, it failed on some very basic
tests even with the latest version with cpansign. I've submitted a bug
report. The MANIFEST addition fix should resolve this issue with PAR, and
hopefully the other one will get resolved as well.

Thanks,
Dan

Cheers, Roderich
Roderich Schupp via RT
2015-07-06 11:21:58 UTC
Mon Jul 06 07:21:52 2015: Request 104509 was acted upon.
Transaction: Correspondence added by RSCHUPP
Queue: PAR
Broken in: (no value)
Severity: (no value)
Owner: Nobody