Updating PAR executables
Johan Vromans
2017-03-14 11:49:11 UTC

I have a perl application that consists of pure perl modules only. When I
build a stand-alone executable for this application, is it possible to
update one or more of my modules without rebuilding it?

Background is that I have limited access to some platforms (Windows, Mac) so
I would like to update prebuilt executables on my (Linux) PC.

-- Johan
Johan Vromans
2017-03-23 10:46:44 UTC
Attached is a proof-of-concept program that supports this procedure.

It is two-step:

repar --split=orig.zip orig.exe

Splits the zip section out of the original executable. This zip can be
updated with new modules.

repar --out=new.exe orig.exe new.zip

Creates a new executable by copying the original one, but inserting the new
zip.

Note that this will only work if no updates are required to platform
dependent modules.

Have phun!

-- Johan